Friday, October 4, 2013

4:32am Musings of a Mommy

Being a mommy to two kids 10 months apart is hard. Extremely hard. I'm sitting here on the couch nursing a cup of coffee because it's too late to go back to bed; I'm up for the day and taking advantage of my hour or so of "me time" before the day really begins. My one year old is finally sleeping in her crib after a two and a half hour showdown, and my 8 week old is in her swing, swinging side to side, staring up at her mobile. It's quiet. No one is crying, all the diapers are changed, both kids have been fed. I'm in mommy heaven.

Erin is currently cutting 10 teeth. Yes, ten. Imagine the look  on my face when the pediatrician told me that at her one year well check. I knew that she was teething from the few times that she would let me investigate, but never in a million years would I have guessed that my poor baby was cutting so many teeth at once. It explained everything. The diaper rash, the screeching, refusal to eat, refusal to sleep, it all made perfect sense. Needless to say as soon as we left the pediatricians office we went straight to the store to get some infant ibuprofen. I felt insanely bad for not realizing that Erin was in so much pain.

Tyler had a pediatrician appointment at the same time. That was interesting. She's still recovering from her shots, and we're back to nursing after a slight strike. She's spitting and up all hours of the night, more-so than normal, and just all around cranky. She woke Erin up tonight and started a downward spiral of crying, hell even I was crying at one point.

My mom said I was crazy when I told her I was pregnant with Tyler on Christmas eve. Erin was only two months old at  the time. I thought I was crazy, myself. There I was, pregnant with a two month old, but little did I know that being pregnant with Tyler was one of the best things that has ever happened to me. I get twice the joy out of being a mother. If I didn't have her, I wouldn't get to watch my one year old give her kisses every day. I wouldn't get that big cheeky grin every time I give her a bath and I wouldn't get to look into those pretty little eyes and feel so, so loved.

 Everyone asks how I do it. How do I handle two so close together? I'll let you in on my secret. I just do it. I do it because I love them. I'm their Mommy and it's my job. I get up out of bed at one in the morning to nurse one and cuddle the other. It's hard, but I do it because I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment