Sunday, October 6, 2013

Doing Something Nice for Me!

I've realized that since I've had children I've become increasingly frugal. My husband goes so far as to call me cheap. Now, I'm not one of those extreme couponing ladies but I definitely look for a coupon before I buy anything. I sign up for store loyalty cards and if there are coupons printed at an empty self checkout lane I grab them. The employees throw them out anyway. I go over a list three or four times before I head out the door to shop. 

I get so caught up with saving money that I feel extreme mommy guilt if I buy anything for myself. I bought a replacement cellphone for my husband today, meanwhile my cellphone has been spider cracked for at least a month now; I've been completely unable to bring myself to purchase a replacement because every time I reach for that $200 prepaid cellphone I  think of how that money could be better spent on my kids. They're always in need of something, be it clothes, toys, diapers, or a new sippy cup.
 

I never bought myself new clothes after I had Tyler. My friend ended up giving me jeans that no longer fit her after she lost her baby weight. I haven't had a proper hair cut since before I had Erin, and I haven't taken a night out sans husband and kids in over 18 months. Today I found myself getting so stir crazy that I snapped at my husband. I found myself irrationally blaming him for my own self neglect until he pointed out that I'm the one who chose not to get the cellphone, haircut, clothes, and dinner by myself. He'd even nagged me to do these things for myself and I came up with an excuse every time.

Tomorrow I'm going to go and buy that new phone, have lunch by myself and go get myself a haircut! I'm going to express a bottle for Tyler and leave my husband with the girls for the afternoon and take some time just for me. When I come home I'm going to play with my kids and enjoy it twice as much as I usually do! 



No comments:

Post a Comment